The Berry Method®, developed by Lauren Berry, is a unique, corrective technique, utilizing muscle, ligament or organ positioning.
With trauma, tissues such as ligaments or muscle can become displaced (for example, the medial collateral ligament of the knee shifting because of a twisting fall). While rubbing the area might loosen it and cause it to feel better for a while, it would still remain out of position, thus making the knee unstable and prone to further damage. By shifting the ligament back into place, proper mechanics is restored, sometimes immediately.
Similar work done very gently can also be applied to the visceral organs, such as a dropped bladder. Lauren believed the body had a memory and, with a little encouragement, body organs would want to return to their proper place in the whole of the organism.
Lauren also had a good sense of the body as a whole. He likened the pelvis to a keystone in an arch that, if out of balance, affects structures both above and below. Work around a joint could thus not be done without addressing this area in order to give the body a better chance to achieve balance.
“I’m not a healer and I’m not a doctor. I’m a mechanic.”
- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.
- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body’s natural defense system, against toxic invaders.
- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body’s largest organ – the skin.
- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
- Reduces spasms and cramping
- Increases joint flexibility.
- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts.
- Releases endorphins – the body’s natural painkiller – and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.
- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication.
- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.